Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter of Women in Aviation awarded over $3100 in scholarships this year! Congratulations to this year’s winners!
• Paperless Pilot: Crystal Daugherty
• Dispatch Scholarship: Amanda Bailey
• Future’s Unlimited Scholarship: Josephine Herrera-Rivera
• Flight Training Scholarship: Alex White
• Two-Year WAI Membership Scholarships: Hannah Cross, Venice Chaplin, and Lauren Sherrick
We expect great things from you!
Thank you to all of those who applied! We were blown away with how many amazing applications came through this year and were thrilled to be able to award 7 scholarships. All of this would not have been possible without our member’s involvement, donations and fundraising.
For February we have an amazing speaker lined up! Michael Peifer, the Executive Director of LifeLine Pilots will talk to us about his experience. He has served for 7 years as a Director and five as Chairman of the Board of LifeLine Pilots, from 2005 to present.
The meeting will be held at Lewis University in the Harold E. White Aviation Center Room 126 on Tuesday, February 16th at 6pm. For directions, click here. For a campus map, click here. Please RSVP to email@example.com. Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Hello everyone! We have a great tour of Envoy Air Operations and one of their aircraft planned for Tuesday evening, January 19th at 6:00pm. We will meet in Terminal 3, upper level (departures), inside door 3C. We’ll be sure to keep it under three hours for short term parking.
Please remember to bring a government issued photo ID to get through security! We’re looking forward to seeing you all there. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to attend.
Join Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter of Women in Aviation for our 7th Annual Holiday Party!
• Place: Pilot Pete’s, Schaumburg Airport
• Date: Monday, December 7th, 2015
• Time: 6:30PM
• Cost: $23/person
Each year our chapter donates aviation related toys to Toys for Tots. This will hopefully not only bring others joy but also encourage kids to love aviation as much as we do. Please bring one unwrapped toy to spread a little holiday cheer.
Additionally, we’ve decided to add a little deliciousness to our evening by having a cookie exchange. If you’d like to participate, bring six of your favorite cookies together in a bag or container with recipe attached and swap for another member’s favorite!
Looking forward to seeing you all there! Additional guests are welcome and encouraged so invite your friends and family! For directions, please click here.
Please pay for your reservation through our Paypal account on the Fundraising tab of the website by December 5th if you’d like to attend.
The deadline for our scholarships has been extended to November 23rd! Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter is offering 5 wonderful scholarships this year available under the scholarship tab. You must be a Women in Aviation, International member to apply. Good luck everyone!
The 2015 Chicago’s Leading Edge Scholarships are here! This year we are proud to offer 7 scholarships.
- Dispatch Scholarship – Recipient of the award will receive $400 toward the aviation dispatch written and practical exam. The recipient should demonstrate their desire to work in aviation dispatch, as well as proof of enrollment in a dispatch course.
- Flight Training Scholarship – Recipient of the award will receive $1000 to put toward flight training for private, instrument, commercial, multiengine or CFI ratings.
- Membership Scholarship (3 Scholarships available) – Recipient of the award will receive a two-year membership to Women in Aviation International to encourage active membership in both WAI and Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter. The top three applicants will all receive the two-year membership to Women in Aviation International.
- Future’s Unlimited Scholarship – Recipient of the award will receive $750 intended to cover conference registration, banquet, hotel, and airfare for one person to attend WAI’s 2016 Annual Conference in Nashville, TN March 10-12, 2016.
- Paperless Pilot Scholarship – This award is for an iPad and a one-year subscription to ForeFlight. The recipient will receive an iTunes gift card in the amount of $75 intended to cover the purchase of ForeFlight. The iPad will be a refurbished 3rd generation iPad WiFi + Cellular 16GB.
The November Chapter meeting will be an exciting one! Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter will be touring the United Airlines Operations Center (NOC) in the Willis Tower. The NOC is the heart that drives one of the largest airlines in the world and the tour will be a great experience for anyone who attends!
We will meet in the lobby of the Willis Tower where everyone will be given a security badge. We will then be escorted by a United Airlines tour guide through their operations center. This will be an opportunity to see inside the heart of one of the largest airlines in the world.
The Willis Tower is located at 233 S Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60606. Parking is conveniently located directly across the street from the tower on Franklin Street. Tower Self Park, operated by InterPark, is located at 211 W. Adams with parking access from either Franklin or Adams. We recommend contacting InterPark at 312/935-2724 to discuss pre-paid parking or discounted parking vouchers. Click here to visit their site. The closest “L” stop is Quincy/Wells, which is approximately 1 block east of the Willis Tower. An additional parking recommendation is located on Wells Street, just south of Polk Street (River City Marina) called Hunter Parking at 880 S. Wells, the cost is 5$ and it is located about a ½ mile from the Willis Tower.
Due to security, we require the names of attendees in advance. Please RSVP prior to November 2nd to email@example.com. Additionally, a government issued photo ID is required for the tour.
Hope to see you there!
Both the Women in Aviation, International and Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter Scholarships deadlines are fast approaching on November 16th, 2015!
Women in Aviation, International’s generous donors and sponsors have offered up more than 111 incredible scholarships totaling more than $600,000 so far for 2016. It’ll be music to your ears when your name is announced as a 2016 WAI scholarship winner in Nashville, Tennessee, March 10-12, 2016! Remember, you have to be a member of WAI before November 2nd! Click here to apply.
Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter if offering 5 wonderful scholarships this year available under the scholarship tab. You must be a Women in Aviation, International member to apply. Good luck everyone!
Our Annual Membership meeting will be held October 20th at 6:00pm at the Chicago Marriott in Naperville, 1801 North Naper Boulevard. This is your opportunity to find out more about Chicago’s Leading Edge. We will have the Treasurer’s report, President’s address, and give out our Volunteer of the Year award among other things. Come enjoy an informative and fun dinner with your fellow aviation professionals. The cost is just $10 for members. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Region VIII and Lewis University need your support! Several colleges across the region will be competing from October 6-10th, 2015 at Lewis University Airport in Romeoville, Illinois and would love to have alumni, friends and local aviators as volunteer judges for the event. No experience is needed and training is provided prior to competition. It’s a really fun way to give back to the next generation of aviation!
If you are interested in judging for all or part of the competition or have any questions, please contact email@example.com. Any time that you have to donate is greatly appreciated!