Volunteer with Chicago’s Leading Edge Chapter of Women in Aviation, International
Since the creation of our Chapter in 2009, our volunteers have been our heart and soul. Volunteers from all over the Chicago area have helped to make us the most recognized organization for women in the aviation industry in our community.
Our chapter has many opportunities for members to reach out and give back to future generations, including:
- Fundraising event each spring to raise money for the scholarships we offer annually
- Outreach event each September entitled the Sky’s the Limit Interactive Camp for Girls
- Membership drives in which we attend air shows and career fairs to get the word out about our great organization
All aviation interests, skills and experience are welcome to share in our passion for encouraging and educating future female’s in the industry!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
We are looking for volunteers to step up for various upcoming activities and board positions. Please see the descriptions outlined below if you have been looking for a way to become more involved with your WAI chapter.
- Girls in Aviation Day is quickly approaching: We need volunteers to represent the chapter at the event. The event is being held at Lake in the Hills Airport on September 23rd, 2023. Details are on the way, but please reach out if you would be willing to speak to youth about becoming involved in aviation or help with marketing and set up.
- Scholarship Committee: Seeking 3 volunteers to serve on a scholarship committee that will review scholarship applications and more. Committee members could expect the term of this position to run from October 12th – mid November. Volunteers will work with the Scholarship Director, Sherry Bailey-Schutt; **please keep in mind this position would exclude you from applying for scholarships this year**. Sherry is also looking for an apprentice to learn the ropes of Chicago’s Leading Edge scholarship program. It is a great way to get involved and make a difference!
- Board Positions: Two CLE Board positions are opening up this October, so start considering if your schedule permits a two-year commitment to your chapter.
2023 Officer Positions include:
The President of Chicago’s Leading Edge, WAI. This position includes but is not limited to the following tasks and is a two-year commitment:
- Shepherd the mission and image of CLE
- Schedule monthly meetings/activities
- Oversee all committees and special events
- Function as lead liaison with headquarters
- File all required paperwork
- Mentor a successor
2023 Committee Chair Positions include:
- Scholarship Chair: Create and process scholarships for the chapter
- Social Media Chair: Regularly post events and news on Facebook and Instagram
- Fundraiser Chair: Plan and oversee the annual fundraiser